Saturday 3 November 2012

The cost of waste management


Isn't it ridiculous how much our government has to spend for our wastes? It's not just ridiculous, it's also annoying. Here's an example of how much it costs a local government to manage wastes: Cebu City garbage disposal costs pegged at P216 M

But can we really blame the government? (Here we go again, pointing fingers.) No. I'd rather blame ourselves. We're so careless, untidy, and irresponsible. Surely, there had been many proposals to make sure our wastes go where they should go.

I remember visiting a relative before. We actually had a week-long vacation in their place. I was looking for a particular colored trash bag/can/whatever to throw my chips' pack away. I think I was supposed to be looking for red. There was none. Fine. I decided to look for something labeled with non-biodegradable. Still the same.

It was annoying.

Making sure that I'd be able to throw my trash away, I asked where's the trash can. I was replied with my aunt pointing to a sack. She said, "Just throw it there." So I approached the sack only to find out all sorts of wastes together. I was obviously disappointed.

Later that day, I saw my cousin throwing the trash-sack in a very unappealing manner. He just dumped it to a heap of wastes.

In order to satisfy my curiosity, I asked him why he threw it there, why they didn't sort their wastes. I was surprised and offended with the answer. "It's unnecessary," I was told.

No comments:

Post a Comment